Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Tuesday, July 7, 2009

~Hands, feet & hips..oh my!~

My cankles are worse than ever it seems. I have rolls and creases on my ankles and my toes look like little sausages. Plus now the insides of my ankles are just as tender as can be.

My hands have been blessed with Carpel Tunnel (which is why I have been absent) and the fourth night it hit was undoubtedly the worst ever. Let's recap! On June 30th I got out of bed at (to make it easy I'll use even numbers) 7AM..showered, ate, got dressed and headed to the OB's office for the ever so much fun Strep-B test at 10AM. Saw the NP (Nurse Practitioner) and chatted with her a bit about CTS. Told her I have a brace and have been wearing it only at night, been doing the hand excersises, been elevating my hands whenever possible, and that Scott had been giving my nightly hand/forearm massages ~ nothing was helping and I was spending half my night on the couch..either sleeping or tossing. She suggested I wear the brace 24/7 and continue to do the things I was doing to see if tyhat helped.

That night I htought I had entered hell. I go to bed at 9PM..wake up at 12:30AM with shooting hot pains in my right hand..can't get rid of them..1:30AM..I decide to get out of bed because I do not want to wake up Scott. I do laps in the living room, hand movements, yoga, massage ~ anything I can think of to relive the pain. It's now 3AM and I am still awake. I start to cry and have a temper tantrum..kicking the ottomans across the room and swearing. It's 4:30AM..and I have reached the point of desperation..I pop 2 Advil (yeah yeah..later on I found out that wasn't so smart..it was all we had..but I was desperate and they didn't help anyways) and hope for the bst. Nothing. I decide to read. At 6:30AM Scott comes downstairs and finds me reading. I haven't slept all night. I called the OB that day and spoke to her about my ordeal..being the July 4th weekend there was no one available to see me..lovely..so I made the decision that if that night was like the last I was going to the ER and begging for a cortisone shot. I did not get to sleep until 9PM that night..I slept 4-5 hours and was happy with that at least. Then THursday I was coherent enough to drive so on a friend's suggestion I went to Walgreens and got Bio Freeze..holy crap..that stuff is great. I recommend it highly for CTS sufferers.

On another note..for the past week my round ligament (http://www.womenshealthcaretopics.com/roundligamentpain.htm) has just been smarting like no tommorrow. I have to agree with my yoga instructor on this one..she hadn't seen me for over a week, took one look at me last night and said, "You dropped". Cha-ching..explains the round ligament pain...and why my belly seems to now be resting on my thighs whenever I sit down.

I told Scott what she said (You dropped) and I though he was going to have a heart attack seeing we have not yet had a child birthing class with the exception of breast feeding. Oh well..shit happens! And besides, women have been doing this for millenia without anyone teaching them anything, my body can do this without any instruction, that is what it is made for.

3 comments:

The Sturtz Family said...

I took a child birthing class. I chose to have an epidural and would highly recommend it. The child birthing class mostly just made me feel more prepared and less scared. It was definitely something you could have a baby without though!

Secret Mom Thoughts said...

You may still make the child birth classes anyway. Glad you finally got some relief from the pain.

Amy and Joe said...

We took birthing classes as well. I can say the only thing it prepared me for was for what to expect. Because the birth was the most terrifying part of the entire affair, I did feel more prepared on what to expect. Even though while you're laying there in labor you don't remember jack shit from what you learned, it still makes you feel better :D Also, I highly recommend the epidural as well.