Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Thursday, June 11, 2009

~Pediatrician interview~

So we went to our first Pediatrician interview yesterday. Mixed feelings.

Are all Pediatrician offices run down looking? You know, stains on the carpet and beat up toys and books? I mean, I know I shouldn't judge a book by it's cover but I had no idea what to expect. So someone help me out here. Maybe I am unjustly comparing this office to my own doctor's waiting rooms which are pristine in cleanliness and order.

The good point is they have rights to Children's Medical Center in Hartford Hospital. However, I am wondering if all Central Connecticut Hospitals have those rights..something to research. Another plus is this office is literally 7 minutes door-to-door. There is always at least ONE doctor from this practice that is on call 24 hours a day 7 days a week..and if you need them they will see you at the office..even on Saturdays. I *love* that, but is that a standard practice among Pediatricians? They will do consultations over the phone. They will work with you concerning vaccine scheduales.

I chose to interview this Pediatrician for a few reasons;
1. A woman
2. She is a certified lactation consultant
3. She is close to our age
4. She is also a mom

Why are these things important?
1. I want my child to know that she can achieve anything she wants, and by seeing a doctor who is a woman I think can send that message.
2. I plan on breastfeeding (and if she refuses to latch..I'll pump) and it seemed only natural to try and find someone with this credential.
3. I want someone who is on the same wavelength, you know, I can speak to as a peer, and also someone I know who won't be retiring in 10 years.
4. I like someone who can see both sides of a concern.

She was nice and all..although Scott got mad when she talked over him..lol..I reminded him that he was in HER office and not the other way around.

I don't know..I am having issues with the cleanliness factor of the waiting room, yet the rest of the place seemed clean enough. Plus they had all sorts of Red Sox stuff on the walls, which was a huge plus for me. ;)

5 comments:

Amy said...

Regardless of the cleanliness of the waiting room, you don't want your kid touching anything anyway. We have picked up many a stomach bug after a well-visit.

Me said...

Sounds like a conspiracy to me.

Amy and Joe said...

Firstly, I'm surprised you're doing doctor interviews...not that it's a bad thing, but I dunno - I never had even thought about doing that. Luckily our pediatrician is awesome and also has all those three or four things going on too.

Lisa said...

I agree with Bopko...although my Dr. office is very clean "appearing" ...it does make a difference to me, you want to feel good about where you're going particularly since it involves "health" in the first place. Ask for referrals from your OB and the nurses there...tell them what you're looking for and they may be able to recommend someone. That's what I did and my first pediatrician "interview" was the only one I did because she "fit"...and I think most peds have someone on call all the time and at least a few saturday hours...good luck!!

Vicky said...

My peds office has emergency appointments on Sat and Sun. 9-12. The office is always clean but there may be a stain or two on the carpet. I agree with Lisa to ask your ob. I asked the school nurse where I taught and she found a bunch in our area with the insurance book that she knew and liked.