Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Wednesday, April 8, 2009

~The saga of the belly-ring~

So, I thought I was doing the right thing purchasing a PFTE belly ring for pregnancy. For those of you who are not familiar with what PFTE is basically flexible Teflon tubing that can be sterilized and is used in surgical procedures throughout the USA. It is used widley in the creating of belly rings that are recommended for pregnant bellies seeing it can flex with your body and all that jazz.

So I buy one and go to my local piercer, Georgina Williamson of Black Diamond Body Piercing, LLC, so she can change it out for me. Why? Well, I have read that some piercings, no matter how long you have had them in can close within days or even minutes, and I wasn't taking any chances.

I go, and we change it out, no big deal. It's fine for the next few days and then suddenly WHAM..the pain, the redness and the seeping comes. I tried to fix it with saline soaks and Dial soaks; I basically treated it like a new piercing, but nothing worked, the problem seemed to stalemate.

So I go back and ask her what to do. She recommends replacing the PFTE with a surgical steel rod because it seems like I am having an allergic reaction to the PFTE, which, is not unheard of I later researched. Within a matter of minutes my belly already felt better with the surgical steel and it has been less than 24 hours and it already looks better.

Of course Scott was just grossed out by the whole thing, and he says it looks funny and makes my belly not look cute anymore seeing the rod is so long. Although I don't think my belly looks cute now anyways, but I assured him that it's a temporary thing and the reason the rod is so long is so my body can grow around it, and in a few months it will not look that out of place. He is such a "in the moment" kind of guy sometimes so it was hard for him to visualize. And of course, going back to my previous post of not feeling sexy, his comments made my hormones rage and I wept like a little kid who lost their favorite toy to the neighborhood bully.

1 comment:

Vicky said...

Glad you found something that works.